Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Unexpected


For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

On the long list of creatures that give me the creepy crawlies, huge lizards are listed right under spiders and June bugs.  So when my husband and I arrived in Cancun on our honeymoon, the beautiful sandy beaches and ocean views took my breath away.  However, lizards were the last thing I planned to seek out during our vacation.

 
Imagine my dismay upon arriving at the hotel only to see a huge lizard sunning its self on the front lawn.  Needless to say, I felt a little squeamish looking at our unexpected scaly friend.  Deep down I wanted to run away screaming, but instead I put on a brave face, determined to get past my phobia.

 
As the week went on I grew accustom to seeing them and even managed to get close enough to snap a picture of one.  I learned they are friendly as long as they are left alone and about as prevalent in Mexico as squirrels are here in the US.

 
In the end, I had a change of heart towards our unexpected reptile friends.  In fact, it turned out to be a funny memory we still share with family and friends after almost six years of marriage.

 
While the lizard story is humorous, in everyday life the unexpected is not always easy.

 
I love how the Lord can use funny little things to reassure me of his perfect plan for my life.  When things don’t go as planned, it’s sometimes hard to accept.  I may not understand why some things happen until I get to heaven but I know he loves me and will take care of me.

 
Jeremiah 29:11 says, For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.  God sees the big picture and we can take comfort in his promise, knowing that He always has our best interests at heart.

 
Thank you for reading and may God bless you today.  Keep shining for Him!

* Photo courtesy of (me)  :)

2 comments:

  1. No matter what you are going through....God is there. He knows our every need and is beside us through it all.
    I remember what my aunt said to me the last time I saw her before she entered heaven...
    "He takes care of it ALL!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is wonderful to know that he is always there and taking care of us. We cannot see the future but he can. He sees the big picture and has the perfect plan for our lives. Thank you for reading and God bless. :)

      Delete