Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Blog Hop 2014: My Writing Process


Have you ever wanted to understand how a writer thinks? Here’s your chance! In this blog hop I will be answering questions about my writing process.

First of all, I would like to thank Brooke Williams for tagging me in this blog hop for 2014. Here's some more about Brooke and her writing:

Brooke Williams
Brooke is an award winning author and freelance writer. She has written hundreds of articles as well as full novels including "Someone Always Loved You." She looks forward to the release of "Wrong Place, Right Time" from The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House in December and "Accept this Dandelion" from Prism Books in February. She has 12 years of experience in radio broadcasting and a brief amount in TV news. Brooke and her husband Sean married in 2002 and have two daughters, Kaelyn and Sadie. Find out more about her books on her website: http://authorbrookewilliams.com/ or on Facebook: http://facebook.com/authorbrookewilliams

Now for the questions about My Writing process…

What are you working on right now?
 
Right now I am working on several projects. I am editing my full length novel, Enduring the Flames. It is an inspirational romance about a twenty year old burn victim who is searching for the mother that abandoned her as a child. Then she meets an aspiring Christian music artist who is able to see the beauty behind her scars. Click here to read the book teaser.

I’m also writing a free e-novella called, Love is Just the Ticket. It’s a fan interactive story and I post one chapter on Mondays. It’s about a young widow who has just moved back to her home town with her two children, but never dreamed a parking ticket would signal a second chance at a happy life and love. Click here to read the first two chapters.

On another note, I also have ideas for a devotional book. Keep an eye out for future updates!

 

How does your work differ from others of its genre?
 
My work differs from others of its genre in a few different ways. My first two books are different because they are inspirational romance but the characters are in their early to mid twenties.  It falls in the fairly new category called, New Adult Fiction, in between Young Adult and Adult Fiction. It makes me feel kind of like a pioneer! J

Also, my books have main characters that have serious physical or emotional scars. For example, in Enduring the Flames, the heroine has burn scars on her face. Throughout the story, God uses her love interest, Jeremiah, to show her that true beauty lies within.
 
Why do you write what you do?
 
I write what I do because I want to shine the light of Jesus through stories of love and transformation. In my stories, I like to show that God has a purpose for everything we encounter in our lives and wants to transform us through His love.

I’ve always enjoyed reading love stories but didn’t like the fact that in some books I’d have to skip over a scene or stop reading the book all together because of graphic or inappropriate scenes. All I wanted to read was the love story, not a graphic scene. Then, I discovered inspirational romance books. They are Christian love stories that focus more on the emotional relationship than the physical.

That is why I LOVE writing and reading inspirational romance. The stories are G rated, include a love story and are centered on having a relationship with Jesus.

How does your writing process work?
 
When I’m writing a story, I tend to begin in the middle. My first book started as a dream. I dreamt about the two characters and the big conflict they would face in the middle of the story. I wrote it down and then had to back track and write the beginning of the story. Now almost two years and over a dozen drafts later, I am polishing my final draft. That is until I find a publisher.  Then I’m sure there will be much more editing. J

Thank you for reading about my writing process. Please check out the authors that are tagged next in this blog hop and be sure to check out their websites and fan pages!

~God bless.
 
                                                                       
 
Be sure to check out the wonderful writers that are tagged next in the blog hop!
 
 Kimberly Wright


Kimberly is a wife, mother of four, blogger, speaker and author. She is also an avid chai tea drinker and queen garage sale shopper. She is the author of Bedtime Thoughts for the Christian Mom and Believing Out Loud: Trading Fear and Defeat for an Adventure with God, coming August 2014. Kimberly is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma with a degree in psychology and was chosen as the 2009 National Young Mother of the Year. Since 2008, Kimberly has been sharing messages of encouragement and faith with mothers groups and women’s conferences across the US. You can find more information about Kimberly or read her blog at www.believingoutloud.com. You can also connect with her on her Facebook ministry page Believing Out Loud Ministry. Kimberly and her husband John have been married for 18 years and are trying to keep up with their three boys and one girl in Overland Park, KS.  You can follow Kimberly on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BelievingOutLoud Twitter: @kwrighter & Twitter: @kwrighter
Click on the links to find Kimberly's books on Amazon.com
Believing Out Loud & Bedtime Thoughts: Christian Mom Devotionals

Cathy Bryant

 A Texas gal by birth, Cathy enjoys spinning tales set in the fictional town of Miller's Creek, Texas, where the folks are friendly, the iced tea is sweet, and Mama Beth's front porch beckons. When she's not writing the Miller's Creek Novels, you'll find her rummaging through thrift stores or up to her elbows in yet another home improvement project in the mountain cabin she shares with her minister husband of over thirty years. You can find out more about Cathy and her books at www.CatBryant.com. or at her Facebook author page :https://www.facebook.com/Cathy.Bryant.Author

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for tagging me for the blog hop, Rachel! Loving this! So much fun seeing how other writers approach the writing process. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for participating in the blog hop, Cathy! I've enjoyed finding out about your writing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel! You are a busy writer! I love that one of your ideas came to you in a dream. I love when that happens. It seems like it's sent directly from God.
    I wouldn't change your approach, it sure seems to be working well!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceil! Yes, I love it when ideas come in a dream too. I need to remember to keep a note pad, pen and flashlight on my nightstand because it happens to me a lot. Thanks so much for your encouragement and blessings to you and your writing.
      ~Rachel

      Delete