Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Perfect Peace

Photo Credit: (pat138241) www.freedigitalphotos.net

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you,
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
Isaiah 26:3 NLT
 

I’ve always had a big imagination.
 
As a writer, it is one of my biggest strengths, but also a huge weakness. Sometimes my imagination runs away with me. I imagine scenarios of bad things that could happen or things I wish that would happen and aren’t. I worry — I get anxious — I stress out. I’m sure many of you can relate to this.
 
Recently, I started this fifty day Bible study with my church called Transformed. I must confess, I’m a little behind, but this week’s topic is mental health and today’s devotion was about keeping our thoughts fixed on God instead of worrying. Wow, it was like the devotion was written just for me.
 
The fact is, God wants to give us “perfect peace.” However, when we let our imagination take over and give in to worry and anxiety we can’t have peace. Instead of worrying, we should fix our eyes on God. He’s the only one who can offer us the “perfect peace” we need.
 
I have to admit, this is hard. It means giving up control, but it’s worth it. When I spend time in prayer and hand my worries over to my heavenly father, He changes my focus and takes away my heavy burden. After all, who is more trustworthy to handle my life than God? He’s never failed me and He knows the future.
 
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic in the comments below and please let me know if I can pray for you about anything.  J
 
Thank you for reading and keep shining for Him!

4 comments:

  1. Very true! We always need to dedicate ourselves to God before we can really get the full benefit of His blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read and comment. I hope you have a blessed day. :)
    ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. God gives you tenfold when you ask, doesn't He.
    I have been reading Fenelon's letters and he talked about how we should cast away the imagination because it is damaging for us.
    Like you, as a writer, imagination is very precious for me. It has been very important for me, both personally and professionally. I could not understand why someone would say we should cast it away.
    So, I prayed and asked God to explain it to me. If it really were true. And now here I am, reading your post, after I just read another post about fear, where the author talked about the imagination being behind the fear and anxiety.
    God does give us with a generous measure when we ask from Him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for taking the time to read and comment! :) This is a tough one, but I think just like any gift, the imagination can be used for good and bad. As a writer of fiction and blogger I use my imagination a lot but it's good because I'm making stories that He has inspired. However, when I let my imagination run away with me and give in to worry, then I'm using it for something bad. That's how I think of it anyway. I hope that this post was an encouragement for you. Blessings. ~ Rachel

      Delete