Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Joy of Worship

 

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.
Psalms 95: 1-2 ( NKJV)
 

In a discussion in college about radio stations, a professor told my class that Christian music was not meant for enjoyment.  The comment stuck with me, causing me to dig deeper into the reasons why I listen to Christian music and what it means to worship the Lord with song.
 

Can worshiping the Lord with song be reverent, but joyful and fun at the same time?
 

Psalms 95: 1 says; Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.  The part about shouting joyfully makes me think of how children worship.  They are so excited and joyful about it!
 

For example my son loves to sing praise and worship songs in the car.  Whenever we are traveling somewhere, singing praises becomes a fun experience.  We play imaginary instruments.  He always seems to pick the air guitar, and since I’m driving, I turn the steering wheel into a drum.  We may get some funny looks, but I don’t mind.
 

When I hear my three year old son’s voice singing praises to the Lord, it blesses my heart.  He is so innocent, so full of joy.  I can only imagine how our heavenly father must feel when we sing praises to him with a joyful heart.
 

It is easy to get distracted and just sing empty words.  However if I think about the words I am singing and the awesome savior I am singing about, I can truly praise him with joy.  He is the rock of my salvation.  That is something I can be excited about.  J
 

Worship is supposed to be reverent, but also joyful and yes, maybe even a little fun!
 

Thank you for reading and keep shining for Him.
 

*Photo courtesy of (Chaiwat) www.freedigitalimages.net

 


1 comment:

  1. Great piece...thought provoking. And, when hear and sing Christian music it gives the Lord great pleasure, which in turn gives me joy.

    ReplyDelete