Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Quiet Time on the Go (Part 1) : Packing a Quiet Time Kit

 
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
James 4:8a

 “Always Be Prepared”

I love that old boy scout saying.  I pondered the phrase last weekend as I packed for one last camping trip with my family for the season.  In preparing for our weekend, I packed clothes for my family, food, and supplies we needed.  Then, I took out a small canvas bag and filled it with my quiet time materials.  I was “prepared” for quiet time on the go.

The weekend turned out perfect.  Relaxing with my family turned out being exactly what I needed.  I even fit in time for some bible study and drafted some ideas for my book, while the kids napped.  I came home from our mini vacation feeling refreshed. 

Back to Routine

After we returned home, my husband and I started the dreaded task of unpacking the camper.  When I got to my quiet time bag, I had an idea.  Why unpack it?  I had all the things I needed right there.  I reflected on my quiet time during the trip.  I had everything with me.  I didn’t have to go searching for things, scattered all over the house.  It was already prepared with what I like to call, my quiet time kit.

Why does quiet time seem more difficult to fit in at home?

Although I am a stay at home mom, sometimes I feel busier than I did when I was working.  I’m sure many of you can relate.  There is always something to do when you have a new baby and a three year old.  Sometimes I wish I was an octopus with eight arms to accomplish it all.  J  However, I discovered that if I have my quiet time kit nearby, I am more likely to make time to do it.  For example, if I am rocking the baby to sleep in my chair, I can easily pick up my bag and everything is right there.  I can “Always Be Prepared.”

Packing a Quiet Time Kit

So what should go in a quiet time kit?  It might vary, depending on your needs, but here is what I suggest:

·         A pocket edition bible.
·         Notebook and pens (I need a couple since I am always losing pens J)
·         Devotional book
·         Post it notes (I will explain these in a later post.)
·         (Optional) Smart phone with the You Version App.  This is a great option because you can have the Bible downloaded on your phone and the app includes built in Bible studies.
 
After you pack your kit, you are ready.  Any where you go, whether it is the office, traveling, waiting room at the doctor’s office, or even just at home, you can “Always Be Prepared” for quiet time.

What would you pack in your quiet time kit?  Feel free to share your ideas in the comment section below.  Also, don’t forget to check out my blog next week for part 2 of my series called: Quiet Time on the Go: Making Every Second Count.

Thank you for reading and keep shining for Him!

*Photo Credit:  My photo J

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, love this idea of keeping your quiet time items in a bag so they'll all be right there when you're ready. For those who like to sing as they begin a time of personal worship, a songbook might be a nice addition. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your suggestion of the songbook, Cheryl. I like to worship by singing too, great idea. :) I hope you have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea Rachel!
    I'm going to make one this weekend.
    I will pack an MP3 player and earbuds, devotional, notepad and pens, cards to send people that need uplifting, my mini address book and stamps.
    This is great to bring to work also because I don't always get to have my devotions in the morning.
    I can hardly wait to see what you write for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mom. Packing an MP3 player is a great idea, especially for while on break at work. I know I have a hard time concentrating without some music in the background. I like the cards idea too, I will have to add that to mine. :) Have a blessed day.

      Delete