Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Funny Thanksgiving Memories: The Turkey's Last Flight

Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.
1 Chronicles 16:34

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  Memories made with loved ones, talking and laughing around the dinner table will always be cherished in my heart.  Some of our funny traditions still make me laugh.

Out of all the traditions in my family, my favorite is the turkey’s last flight.  I know, it sounds weird and yes I’ve gotten many strange looks when trying to explain it.  However just for laughs, I’m going to tell the story.

My Dad is quite the jokester.  Growing up, I remember waking up around 5 or 6am with my brother and sisters to help my mom make the stuffing for the turkey.  My Dad’s job was to prepare the turkey to be stuffed.  The kitchen erupted into laughter as he made it sing opera while washing it in the sink.

Then came the funniest part, my mom would leave the kitchen for a second to get a needle and thread, leaving my dad alone in the kitchen.  He gave me an ornery grin and I knew he was up to no good.  The turkey came back to life and took off flying and gobbling around the kitchen, dripping water everywhere.

As soon as my mom came back up, the turkey would behave its self and go back in the sink while she cleaned up the kitchen with 409.  However, when she turned her back, my Dad was at it again!  I still giggle, remembering this weird family tradition.

Sometimes the little funny moments in life make the fondest memories.  These memories from my childhood make me thankful that God blessed me with such a weird but wonderful family.

What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving memories?  Please feel free to share.  J

* Photo Credit: (digidreamgrafix) www.freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment