Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Walking on the Water

Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.
Psalms 143:8 (NLT)
 
Recently a worship song at church called “Where Feet May Fail,” by Hillsong United struck a chord in my heart. The chorus starts with, “Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders…”

It convicted my heart, making me wonder if I was fully trusting God or if I was setting limits. Deep down I know I do.  Sometimes I feel him leading me to something and I let my own fear get in the way. Fear of danger, failure or even embarrassment can be disabling if I let them take hold.

Although staying in my comfort zone sounds more appealing sometimes, I know God has a bigger plan for my life than that.  It requires putting my trust and faith in Him and maybe even taking a risk.

 It reminds me of the story of Jesus walking on the water in Mathew 14.

     “Then Peter called to him, ‘Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.’

     ‘Yes, come,’ Jesus said.

     So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. ‘Save me, Lord!’ he shouted.

     Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. ‘You have so little faith,’ Jesus said. ‘Why did you doubt me?" Mathew 14:28-31 (NLT)

Peter took a risk by getting out of the boat. In the end he doubted, but did Jesus let him drown?  No, He took care of Peter in spite of his fear and doubt.

Just like Peter, my faith isn’t perfect.  I can hear Jesus telling me the same thing sometimes, “You have so little faith. Why did you doubt me?”  So, I’ve started asking Him to help me stop setting limits to how much I trust Him.  After all, there are no limits to His power!

Have you ever struggled with this?  If so, will you join me in this prayer from Psalms 143:8?

 Lord, “Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.”
In Jesus name, Amen.

 Thank you for reading and keep Shining for Him!

6 comments:

  1. I'm somewhere between the impulsive Peter and cautious disciples watching from the boat. My steps are often times too calculated...but I will take them. Thank you for the prayer of Psalm s 143:8. Blessings as you step out of the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Merrie. I feel the same way, sometimes. I get so excited about stepping out of the boat, but if I don't do it right away, I'll talk myself out of it. It's so reassuring that Jesus is there to guide us if we only take that step of faith though, isn't it? Blessings to you today.
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel! Oh yes, I struggle with faith. I love the prayer of the man who came to Jesus asking for healing. "Yes, I believe. Help me with my unbelief." And I know that the Lord will do just that. I am his child, and he wants me near him. Beautiful :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for mentioning that prayer, Ceil. I think I need to pray that prayer too. Great example if turning everything over to God. I hope you have a blessed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've written many times on this very thing and that song as really stirred a renewed passion to not be left seated in the boat. I want the adventure with God and He wants it with me. Thanks for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Shelly. I'm so glad that God used this post to encourage you. Praying for you and your adventure with God as you step out of the boat. God bless.
      ~Rachel

      Delete