Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Cathy Bryant: Featured Author Series


Tell us about yourself.

I’m a Christ-follower, wife, mom, Nana, daughter, and Christian fiction writer. I enjoy just about anything outdoors, including hiking, canoeing, camping, and gardening. I also enjoy creative activities—home improvement projects, scrap-booking, painting, composing, and writing. I love watching movies and reading books, though since becoming a writer I can’t stop analyzing what I’m watching and reading. I’m a big reality TV fan, my favorites being Survivor and The Amazing Race. (Both great material for analyzing human behavior for my books!) In addition to fiction, I also write Bible studies and devotionals, and recently started a new website for the purpose of sharing Christian books--especially freebies, bargains, and new releases. You can check out the daily deals at ChristianKindleeBooks.com. (I post even more freebies and bargains on our Facebook group, Christian Books.)
 
Where do you write?

Our mountain cabin has an upstairs sleeping loft. It’s one large open room with the best view in the entire house. My writing desk is there, but I force myself to write in a corner facing a wall to keep myself from being distracted. (It works most of the time…)
 
What are you writing now?

I just finished pre-writing Crossroads, the sixth book in the Miller’s Creek Novels. The book tells the
story of a bitter single mom and atheist who starts a real estate company in Miller’s Creek for the purpose of providing for her young daughter. Then her child’s troubling medical symptoms force her to the doctor where she learns her daughter’s leukemia has relapsed. Now she must re-think her beliefs of Carter Callahan and his God. Will she return to Christian faith in the face of life’s greatest challenge?
 

What inspired you to write A Bridge Unbroken, the latest Miller's Creek Novel?
 
All of the Miller’s Creek Novels feature a spiritual theme that is relevant to me for different seasons in my life. In Texas Roads it was Christ being our home rather than placing our security in a place or building. A Path Less Traveled was about finding enough faith to follow God even when it doesn’t seem to make sense. (Boy, has He used that lesson in my life, and proven His faithfulness through it all!) The Way of Grace was my spiritual journey of learning how perfectionist tendencies can be a real hindrance to spiritual progress. The spiritual theme of Pilgrimage of Promise followed right along with my hubby and I stepping out in faith in a bad economy and high unemployment rates to do what we sensed God telling us to do, and the resulting joy and peace spurred on by the Lord’s faithfulness. A Bridge Unbroken follows my own quest to be obedient to Christ in the matter of forgiveness.
 

What do you want readers to take away from this book in particular?
 
In my very humble opinion, forgiveness is one of the least understood tenets of our faith, yet central to the gospel we proclaim. I hope readers come away from the story with a fresh understanding of the gift of forgiveness. As I wrote A Bridge Unbroken, my conversations with Facebook friends often centered around forgiveness, and it made me realize how much we all struggle with forgiving others. I decided to use my scripture study of the topic to create a mini Bible study booklet. It's entitled The Fragrance of Crushed Violet: Forgiving the Inexcusable.
 
Tell us how you come up with characters.
 
Characters actually introduce themselves to me. (I know, I know, they’re not real. I promise I’m not certifiable…) After they make their appearance, I fill out extensive character charts, including taking online personality tests for them! (Hmm, maybe I am certifiable…) But no matter how much preparation I put into the characters in the pre-writing process, they always reveal another facet of their personality during the actual writing of the book.
 
Of all the characters you’ve created, which is your favorite and why?

Without a doubt the answer would have to be Mama Beth, the wise woman in all the Miller’s Creek novels and the main character in the fourth book of the series, Pilgrimage of Promise. She is everything I want to be when I grow up—wise, kind, and loving. Just so you know, I’m not alone in choosing her as the favorite character. When I asked this question to the Miller’s Creek Reader’s Group on Facebook, the majority’s answer was Mama Beth.
What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?
 
 I want my writing to honor and glorify God. If only one person is touched and moved closer to God as a result of my writing, then the hours of hard labor (and numb backside!) are worth it. One early reader of Texas Roads (the first book in the series) told me the story brought healing to her life. I can think of no higher compliment.
 

==================================
 
Christian fiction author Cathy Bryant loves spinning faith-based tales in the fictional back-roads country town of Miller’s Creek, Texas…where folks are friendly, the iced tea is sweet, and Mama Beth’s front porch beckons. When she’s not writing, you’ll find Cathy feeding her reality TV addiction, rummaging through thrift stores, or up to her elbows in yet another home improvement project in the mountain cabin she shares with her minister husband of over thirty years. In addition to the Miller’s Creek novels, Cathy also writes Bible studies and devotionals You can learn more about Cathy and her books at her website, www.CatBryant.com and also in the following online places:



 

Amazon Links to Cathy's books:

Texas Roads - http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Roads-Millers-Creek-Novel-ebook/dp/B00480OH1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1409273475&sr=1-1&keywords=texas+roads

A Path Less Traveled - http://www.amazon.com/Path-Traveled-Millers-Creek-Novel-ebook/dp/B0048EK14O/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1242VC7CVBDFFR9D0K4A

The Way of Grace - http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Millers-Creek-Novels-Book-ebook/dp/B009H7TIFU/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=06CNTYFVREQ3941KT2K8

Pilgrimage of Promise - http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrimage-Promise-Millers-Creek-Novel-ebook/dp/B00C047D6S/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CF80JN32PJP5P1K88PK

A Bridge Unbroken - http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Unbroken-Millers-Creek-Novel-ebook/dp/B00JYQRJMS/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F5C0WESTBBA99GTWMAK

The Fragrance of Crushed Violets: Forgiving the Inexcusable - http://www.amazon.com/The-Fragrance-Crushed-Violets-Inexcusable-ebook/dp/B00KCBDRNY/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=044ZJB6X8SY86NRYNQ53

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, thanks so much for having me at your wonderful blog today! I'm looking forward to your new book!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a blessing to have you as a guest today, Cathy. I'm so excited to learn more about you and your books. Thank you and God bless. ~Rachel

      Delete