Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Training: Building Spiritual Endurance, Part 2

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
2 Timothy 3:16

 

I don’t know about you, but I love to watch the Olympics. Figure skating is one of my personal favorites because of the elegance and beauty of it. It’s amazing how these amazing athletes make difficult sports look effortless. However, no athlete learns these skills overnight. It takes training and a lot of practice over time.
 
Part one of this series discussed setting spiritual goals. Now it’s time to put those goals into action. God wants to do amazing things through us, but just like athletes, we have to train. Are you ready?
 
It’s time to train. So what’s the name of our training manual? The Bible of course! It holds everything we need. Hebrews 4:12 tells us that the word of God is alive! Just reading that verse gives me goose bumps. By reading God’s word, we are training and building spiritual endurance.
 
The word of God is not only our training manual … but our spiritual food, our encouragement and so much more. It guides—it teaches—it corrects.
 
In order to grow, we need to make training a routine. I must confess, this is tough for me sometimes. In my busy day with two preschoolers running around, sometimes it’s hard to remember to read daily. However, when I do, my day goes better and God teaches me something new. He helps me grow.
 
Here are some tips to help set a routine.
 
1. Start small. Pick out small portions of scripture to read each day and meditate on them. Find short devotions like Our Daily Bread or start a reading plan on a Bible app like You Version.
 
2. Apply the reading to everyday life. After reading, think and pray about how the verses apply to your spiritual goals and what God is trying to teach you. Journal about it or pick one verse as a memory verse for the week.
 
3. Build up as you go. After reading daily becomes a routine, add more to your daily reading plan. If you read in the morning, add on to it or plan another session in the evening.
 
I hope some of these tips have helped you and please let me know if you have any prayer requests. Also, please make sure to tune in next week for part three of this series.
 
God bless and keep shining for Him!


Missed part one? Click here to read Make a Goal: Building Spiritual Endurance, Part 1
 
 
Photo Credit: (stockimages) www.freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment