Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Greatest Gift of All

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (KKJV)

Christmas is my favorite holiday but this year I am anticipating it even more than usual.  Both of my sons are exciting ages.  My four month old will celebrate his first Christmas this year and my oldest is almost 4 years old.  He is in the question phase right now, as I like to call it.  Every sentence seems to start with, what or why.  So this year he is eager to learn what Christmas is all about.


A few weeks ago we drove around a local outdoor shopping center to look at the lights.  Right away he noticed there were sparkling crowns adorning almost every building.  It sparked his curiosity.  “Why are there crowns everywhere mommy?” he asked.

I thought about it for a second.  “Well I’m not sure.”

“But why, mommy? Tell me.”

 I laughed and tried to think of an explanation. "Well maybe it’s because it’s going to be Jesus’ birthday and He's the king.”

“Oh,” he answered.  “We need to get him a birthday present. What does Jesus want?”

At first my husband and I giggled but then I answered, “We can’t wrap what he wants.  He wants our hearts.”
 
It's stuck with him ever since. He's so excited to celebrate Jesus' birthday and wants to make a birthday cake to celebrate his special day. Maybe we'll make that a family tradition.

Isn’t it wonderful how kids put everything into perspective?  Sometimes it’s so easy to get wrapped up in all the busyness of the holiday season and forget the true reason for celebrating Christmas.  Jesus gave us the perfect gift by coming to earth.  He died for our sins so we could live.  All he wants in return is our heart.

Thank you for reading and keep Shining for Him! J

*Photo Credit: (Naito8) www.freedigitalphotos.net
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment